Duration: 3 years
100% French or 100% English
Next available session: January 2021
The "Bakery & Business" Bachelor's will train ambitious entrepreneurs in the Bakery / Snacking industry.
This innovative program is a oneof-a-kind: its curriculum includes both in-depth knowledge of high-quality bread production and also a solid foundation in nutrition and dietary balance.
The program also raises students' awareness of sustainable development: organic products, energy and waste management, short supply chains, fair trade... Furthermore, students are encouraged to take a full-cycle approach: when first thinking about their choice of bread varieties, snacks and pastries, they will also have to plan how to provide a high quality service, considering customer information, promotional materials (flyers, iconography, packaging, etc.), new recipe tastings, communication with customers, and more.
Renowned professional bakers regularly provide master-classes and participate in juries, which allows our students to be in contact with the best in the industry. Students will also complete a 5-month hands-on internship each year which provides them with deeper knowledge and eases their transition into the professional baking world.
- Location in a city known for its gastronomy and the quality of its local products
- High-end facilities: two baking labs, entirely equipped with material made in France, hosting up to 16 students at a time, ergonomically designed to facilitate exchanges between students and chef-instructors
- Intensive training: 7 hours of classes per day in the lab
- Motivated and acclaimed teaching staff
- Cross-curricular teaching (management, design, marketing, dietetics, hygiene) enabling students to become experienced and autonomous professionals of their time
- Work placement in a company
- Intensive practical laboratory training (300h/year)
- Marketing / Management (in partnership with ESG business schools): to forge and sharpen your entrepreneurial skills
- Nutrition and health: to target the nutritional balance of culinary creations
- Biochemistry: to know and identify the properties of a food and keep all its flavor
- Culinary design (in partnership with LISAA school of design): for the ultimate search for visual and taste beauty
- Digital training (in partnership with Digital Campus): to master social networks and improve the projection capacity of the taste experience
- History of gastronomy: for the transmission of the French culinary tradition
- Design / styling: for monitoring trends and highlighting products
- Foreign languages: for the international ambitions of the artisans of tomorrow
- Soft skills (in partnership with Cours Florent): to enrich students' relational skills
- Company internships (280h/year)
Theoretical & practical knowledge
- Development of practical skills: supply, receipt of goods, detecting quantitative and qualitative anomalies, storage
- Production/Manufacturing: putting a workstation in place, calculating raw materials, implementing various methods of kneading, weighing and shaping, monitoring various fermentation methods, putting in the oven and controlling cooking and cooling, identifying defects and presenting products for sale
- Baking and other products: French sourdough, wholemeal bread and rye bread, making rolled puff pastry products, croissants, chocolate croissants, two-colour breads, making leavened dough products, pain au lait, brioche, pastries, etc.
- Maintenance and safety: cleaning and disinfecting premises, equipment and materials, checking the correct operation of equipment and safety devices
- Quality control: checking the conformity of raw materials and products throughout the manufacturing process, checking weights and quantities, checking the appearance of finished products
- Technology: history of baking, professional vocabulary, personnel and workstations, equipment, organisation methods, supply, preservation methods and inventory management
- Raw materials: manufacturing techniques and finished products, sensory education, hygiene and food safety
- Know-how: organising, kneading, adding water or flour to dough, conducting fermentations, dividing and shaping dough pieces, forming various shaped dough pieces, multiple scoring, putting in the oven using a baking mat and spatula, managing cooking and cooling, selling and displaying products for sale
Our teaching team
This program is open to candidates with strong motivation and to people with previous work experience (job seekers, those changing careers...).
An application request must be made through the website. Within the next 48 hours, the candidate will receive an invitation for an interview, either in person or via video-conference. This enables the candidate’s motivation and level of English to be evaluated. Basic knowledge of French is necessary for the course. The candidate will be informed of the outcome in the days following the interview.
€9,900 per annum
A registration form will be sent to successful applicants. This must be completed and returned to Institut Culinaire de France along with the requested documents within 30 days.
Once your enrollment has been confirmed, you will receive an enrollment confirmation letter. This document is necessary to request your visa from the French consulate in your country. According to French law, any stay of a duration exceeding 90 days requires a long-term visa. However, for some nationalities, a visa may be required for any length of stay. This procedure might take a considerable amount of time. As such, we advise students to start their visa application upon receipt of their acceptance letter.